Sunday, November 30, 2008

The Boy in the Bubble

I really couldn't have asked for a more enjoyable holiday weekend.  

Wednesday night we watched the Taj Mahal trio at a Seattle venue known as Jazz Alley (one of the coolest venues I've ever been to). 

 Thursday we joined some of our fellow Seattle transplants for a mash-up of awesome food, beer, and friendship.  Extra thanks to Becky for hosting.

I spent my Friday record shopping and hunting down Seattle's best cheese-steak, which has still alluded me to this day.  

Saturday I drove 90 minutes outside of Seattle to hike the Crystal Lake trail, a very rewarding experience.  

Walking to the coffee-shop today I couldn't help but enumerate the events of my weekend with a feeling of satisfaction, but this feeling quickly diminished once began making my Sunday rounds.  

While I was blithely going about my weekend more than 170 people were killed in Mumbai, political turmoil continued to escalate in Thailand, three Americans were killed in commerce related violence, eight restaurant patrons were killed in a Mexican border town, and a suicide bomber killed nine people at an Iraqi mosque.  

This sobering sense of reality is accompanied by a more powerful feeling of futility.  
 

1 comment:

Sam Titze said...

at least you're feeling futility instead of loss; their reality isn't quite the same as ours. the bubble is an ok place to be.