Monday, October 27, 2008

Start Here,

I can't help but feel amazed, and somewhat overwhelmed with new technology these days. I fancy myself to be a pretty tech-savvy guy, but it seems that lately I can't even keep up with the levels of connectivity that are now possible.

This, if it works as it is supposed to, seems really big (thanks to Ali for the heads up). I know this isn't a new idea, but I'm just starting to cope with the pros and cons. Once they start selling discounted textbooks, you would never have a huge backpack of books to carry around. The environmental impact could be huge (paper saving); especially in terms of periodicals. Newspapers are a colossal waste of material; they are usually read once and discarded, and moreover, often overprinted. The cell-phone style connection makes it easy enough for adults to understand; no messing with wireless networks and keys means my parents could probably cope with it. The melding of hand-held technology and the world of literature might be enough to bridge the gap with younger generations who find reading cumbersome. The only foil I see to this plan so far is the library. I would immediately plan to buy this as a Christmas present for my dad (who reads far more than he should given his neurotic worldview), but he gets all of his books from the lib at a fraction of the price it would cost to buy them on the device.


My recent Mac purchase has allowed me to video-conference with my parents, sister, and three of my best friends on a regular basis (probably too regularly upon reflection of a Saturday night conversation). Again, its not new, but I found myself caught off-guard by the ease of use, quality of communication, and the feeling of actual interaction you get from both hearing and seeing a person on the other line. Granted, I'm easily amused by many things, but video conferencing is awesome for families and friends seperated by long distances.

Feelings of inadequacy often characterize our parents' relationship with technology, and its been one of my favorite things to hold over their heads. It's something I had yet to experience until recently; its not nearly as funny as I thought.

Cheese-Grease (leftovers)

...here are some jams that come out today...

...I'm going to do my best to replicate the pumpkin on the right tonight over some beers...

...and Andy has very clearly articulated my feelings towards UofM fans here...